Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Les Grenouilles


Grenouilles are an English folk trio and as reported first here at To Kill a Mockingbird, English folk bands are pretty tight. While listening to their first EP, Hawk On The Down (available here!!!), I've sort of noticed a few artist they remind me of. It's pretty easy to write them off as a Mumford & Sons wannabe, but they're deeper than that. In "Bones" alone, I can hear violins that take me back to Flogging Molly's "Laura", along with an eerie wailing that compares to Bon Iver's "Wolves". And as shown in the song below Grenouilles have an affinity for amazing covers something like London town's own Noah & The Whales (i.e. "Girlfriend In A Coma").

Grenouilles have completely made "Low" a listenable song once again, after hearing Flo Rida's version about fifty-leven times I couldn't stand it. Although it does remind me of pledging to SAE in the spring of '08 and crazy sorority girls dancing on tables.

Grenouilles-Low (Flo Rida Cover)

Fun Fact: #1-During the time when "Low" was released, I thought Flo Rida's moniker was pronounced like the state.
Fun Fact: #2-Grenouille means frog in French.

No comments:

Post a Comment